Wednesday, June 04, 2008

These Amazing Times We Live In

These are exciting and magnificent times we are living in. Change and hope intertwine to reshape our nation and fulfill the dreams of so many Americans.
I remember when I was a little girl I so wanted to see a woman as president of the United States.
I also wanted to see equal rights for every person in this nation.

I grew up when little girls couldn't wear pants to school, people of different races didn't share the same schools and a movement for civil rights was taking place.

I wasn't quite old enough to march in the streets so I watched it on my black and white TV and cheered people onward to equality.

Women also wanted equal jobs for equal pay. Not many women were doctors, lawyers, none were politicians when I was a little girl.

I remember the first day our “white” school was open to the first African American student. It was an amazing thing as not many months before our governor of Alabama had stood before the college and refused to let black students enter.

What courage it took for that first black student to step into our school. I was so proud of her and so proud of the other white students who although amazed were open to change. As I stepped forward to welcome her and tell her my name I felt a surge of electricity go through the crowd.. yes.. change was here and it was good.

I remember hearing Kennedy telling us all that it wasn't what our country could do for us, it was what we could do for our country. My heart swelled with pride even as a teenager to be included in the possibilities for our nations growth and change.

About the same time the schools were open to all races we girls also got to wear pants. We couldn't wear jeans, that came years later, our clothing had to be pant suits.. double knit if you remember that hot thick fabric.

I grew up being taught how to duck under my desk in case Cuba decided to drop a bomb on us. The fear was terrible and it saddens me to this day when this same fear tactic is used on Americans to get us to release some of the freedoms and rights we value.

My children were not as aware of different color skin as I was as a child. My oldest daughter came home from school day after day telling me about her best friend, Johnathan. She thought he was just the neatest and sweetest child in her whole class. One afternoon when she got in the car she looked at me and said, “Mama, you know what”? When I answered, “no, what”?.. She said, “did you know that Johnathan was black”? “His skin is black”.

I answered “really, what does that mean”? She looked at me for a moment and said, “I don't know what it means, David told me that Jonathan was black.”

I knew then that we as a nation were on the right track for change, someone had to point out the difference between skin color to my child. Children don't see difference until someone points it out.
We were ready with a new generation who were more open, accepting and loving than the one I grew up in.

Last night as I watched the results for the last night of voting for our Democratic nomination I was amazed and delighted to see both a woman and a black man ready to lead our nation, and being accepted as wonderful potential presidents for this great land.

I think Lincoln and King, as well as all the Americans who fought and marched for equality are proud. Wherever they are they are smiling, knowing that even though it took a while.. we, the American people finally understand what this country is about.

We are ready to embrace change, to be open to discussion, opportunity for peace, and finally.. equality for all our citizens.

I am proud to be American. I am proud of my nation, my great country, who though sometimes slow to do the right thing, eventually comes around in the power of understanding, acceptance and love.

Thank you everyone who came before me. Your belief in freedom has come true. I celebrate with you this awesome moment in history and will enjoy the opportunity for even more change in this great nation.

No comments:

Heal Your LIfe With Law of Attaction

My photo
Somewhere In, Alabama, United States
Donna DeVane is a certified GIYAME energy healer, teacher and author, and life coach. Her work inspires and empowers women to live life fully and blissfully. Her book Creating Yourself A Mini Guide to the LOA takes you step by step through the principles of the Law of Attraction. Change your life from the inside out. A Journey Back to Self is the result of 12 years of real time and online classes with lessons which heal your emotions and restore balance and well being in your life. Her special line of gemstone jewelry combines her knowledge of the metaphysical energy of stones and crystals to provide jewelry that really makes a difference. Native American style primitive dream catchers and booger masks are created to bring powerful energy of healing and balance into your life. Gemstone and crystal Feng Shui cures and suncatchers promote positive energy and rainbows. Donna is 4th degree recommended black belt in Tae Kwon Do and encourages all women to learn this powerful art of mental, physical and spiritual balance. Her books on healing and working with the principles of Law of Attraction are life changing.